Sunday, February 22, 2009

Practice Activities - Module 2

Lesson Title: Animal Environments for Grade 2

Type of Web 2.0 Tool:
Wiki - create your own ending

SOL and Secondary Objectives Related to the Lesson:
Students will learn about animal adaption and habitat areas. They will learn about animal's as predator and prey and they will determine which animal is suited for a particular environment.

Brief Description of Overall Lesson:
I will create the wiki page that will describe different habitat/environmental situations. One example would be this: "an animal is walking through a savanna and comes to a tree with wonderfully looking green leaves. This animal looks up and notices that they tree is 15 feet tall, however, his animal cannot climb trees or jump that high. Which animal do you think could eat these leaves?" I would give them 3-4 choices (photos of the different animals) and they would have to click on the correct answer. If they correctly or incorrectly, they would be directed to a new wiki page that described the animal. We would discuss why that animal would/would not be the best choice. We will have a small true/false test after completing all of the animals listed on the wiki home page.

6 comments:

  1. Having trouble with the blogspot server allowing me to make comments....hmmm. Others in my f2f class have had the same issue this week.

    Brilliant idea! Rather than creating a "Choose your own ending" in powerpoint, a wiki environment is definitely a good tool to support hypermedia uses. What barriers might you see in a project like this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. With a project like this, there is very little choice given to the user. There might be choice 1, and 2 but not much as far as real research. However, you could have them do it along with research. For example, if I created one about chimpanzees, I could ask a question about their habitat and then ask the students to go research it. Maybe they could take one page/day and at the end of the week, they could see if their research paid off but getting a correct ending.

    It would also be quite time consuming setting it up and there would not be much learning involved (unless you did it along with other research). I remember setting up a powerpoint like this in one of my previous classes. It was only a few pages but it really took awhile to set up all of the correct/incorrect links needed to get them through the "game".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Tory. I really like your Lesson plan. I’m an animal lover so any kind activities related with animals is from huge interest for me. Especially interesting is that my wife is primary school teacher and she teaches second grade students right now. So… maybe she can use your wiki page as online recourse with her students.

    Since wiki’s are online collaborative tolls how do you think/plan to engage your students in this animal-wiki activity? Will they collaborate on this wiki? Will they add additional text, pictures, or comments?

    I will be back with some more thoughts later…
    You should now that I was enjoying reading your thoughts… You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm from Macedonia so do not worry if you are not able to read my name :). I'm Vasko.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome Vasko and thanks for your thoughts! Well, my ideas with this wiki were to maybe have an older class create the wiki but then have it geared more toward very young students. So, the young students might not actually collaborate on it but an older class could. Then the younger class could simply use it and maybe learn about wikis by using and not creating (yet).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Tori,
    I really like this philosophy. Older students design and create a learning environment which can be use as learning material from younger students. I did some training with teachers from my country about use technology in there classroom and I always underline this issue.
    About your last sentence: “Then the younger class could simply use it and maybe learn about wikis by using and not creating (yet).” Don’t forget… wiki or what ever technology tool.. it is only a tool! It is almost same as using whiteboard, paper, pencil etc. but now, huge difference is that today’s pupils “digital natives” are more use to use this kind of tools.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me.
    Vasko
    p.s. I will move to some of your other post’s! See you there. I really enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete