Lesson Title: Red-crowned Crane Migration
Type of Web 2.0 tool: Blog as a website with weekly updates.
Secondary Objectives: Students will be updated on a weekly basis as to the migration patterns of the red-crowned cranes. They will be communicating with international students along the migration path and learning about their culture.
Overall lesson: Students will be able to track red-crowned cranes through their migration and learn about the habitats these birds select. They will do this through discussions with international students who live along the migration path and information put in daily posts. Students will be able to view these birds by means of videos and images provided by the international students. Expers from the International Crane Foundation, both in the US and internationally, have agreed to play a role in this blog.
Sunday, February 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Both of these lesson ideas are awesome! You have thoughtfully chosen very useful and educationally valuable uses for blogs. I think that it is really important that you clearly identified the 'type' of blog that will be used. Richardson outlines various ways that Blogs can be used in the classroom and ranks them as 'posting' or 'blogging'. Some look at this list and get depressed because they are starting their use of blogs with the upper half(posting)activities. Those working with young learners feel this is all they can do with their students. I reassure them because we have to start somewhere to get used to the tool. Invention and creation doesn't happen by just reading. There's a lot of thinking that goes on that might even be sparked while playing around with the tool.
ReplyDeleteOne of the most important instructional strategies we use in the integration of technology in curriculum is scaffolding--a step by step process where each knowledge event builds on the next.
Take a look at all the activities you have completed in Module 1. What was the process and how did it help you so far to understand blogs?
Evaluating different blogs has helps me to understand what aspects I liked and disliked about others blogs. By knowing this, I can than create my own easier. I looked at everything from the way the blog generally looks, how it is set up and some of the wording that was used. I tend to find the simple blogs the most appealing to the eye. I also liked those that had "enough" information....too much just became too difficult to navigate through. I also enjoyed those blogs that drew me in by being more personal written.
ReplyDeleteI understand that a blogger would have to write for their audience. My audience will, most likely, always be younger children or adults who want to learn about conservation. If I did create a blog for Red-crowned Crane conservation, I would have to write in a more scientific manner. In general, the blog would just have a much different look.